Content design for legal content (in-house course)
In this course, you’ll learn the core skills of writing clear legal information such as contracts, policies, terms and conditions, and legal notices.
The course is customised to your organisation. It consists of 12 hours of intensive training, plus assignments to do in your own time.
You’ll learn how to write legal content and contracts, including:
- what legal content is and trends in writing and designing contracts
- why it’s important that readers can use legal content to make informed decisions
- how to use best practices from plain language and content design for legal content
- ways to measure and assess legal content according to laws and regulations, such as the Consumer Rights Act and Treating Customers Fairly
- how to collaborate with legal and compliance teams
You’ll get the skills you need to:
- plan and structure a contract, opinion, notice or other legal document
- organise information for reader logic rather than traditional legal structure
- write legal informative headings and summaries
- use all plain-language principles (active voice, short sentences, strong verbs)
- get rid of unnecessary legalese
- decide whether to replace or define legal jargon (terms of art)
The course gives practical insights
Because we customise the course to your industry, you’ll get relevant insights into how to simplify your content.
A live (and lively) online session for up to eight attendees
We run the training through video conferencing software (usually Zoom or Microsoft Teams) with WhatsApp as a back-up technology. Our experienced trainers facilitate a lively, interactive session – with lots of debate, exercises and discussions. We set practical exercises and assignments throughout the course, with a customised assignment at the end. We usually split the 12 hours of training into three four-hour sessions.
We rely on your examples, input and discussion. This is adult-to-adult learning where:
- we train a principle or technique
- we show you an example of how it’s put into practice (preferably in a real example from your organisation)
- you apply the principle or technique in a short exercise, which we discuss as a group
- you do an assignment at home to reinforce the learning right away.
This course is right for you if:
- you’re a team of content designers, UX professionals or writers working in the corporate, governmental or educational sector
- you want to simplify your legal content, but are not sure how to go about it
- you’re comfortable learning and writing in English
- you don’t have an extensive legal background (we run separate courses for legal professionals who need to learn plain legal drafting)